Pattern cutting classes open up a new world to dressmakers.
If you are new to dressmaking or have been sewing forever, or you are dissatisfied with the fit and style of commercial patterns and would like to be able design your own clothes, this course introduces you to the basic concepts of pattern cutting.
Making your own pattern from your body measurements (pattern cutting) is not as difficult as it would at first appear – if you can add, subtract and divide using a calculator and then draw a line you can pattern draft!
Using your own body measurements you will learn how to draft a skirt block, construct and fit a calio toile (fitting shell). Your skirt block and toile is the starting point to design all your skirts and culottes from.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
Anyone who has had some sewing experience, has used a commercial pattern and can subtract and divide using a calculator.
WHAT NEW SKILLS WILL I HAVE AT THE END OF THE COURSE?
- You can take an accurate set of body measurements
- Make a perfectly fitting skirt block to your own measurements
- Make and fit a calico toile (fitting shell of the skirt block)
- Explore basic manipulation techniques: moving a dart, suppressing a dart in a style line. Learn how to draft waistbands, facings, pockets, pleats and gathers. Any skirt you design can be made from this block.
- You will be able to design a skirt and make a full size pattern for it to cut out and sew at home or in additional sewing class.
What to bring:
- One metre of cotton calico fabric to make your toile
- A sketchbook/notebook pens and pencils eraser.
- Sewing machines are needed for home work but are not needed during the classes. You will need to have access to a sewing machine, pins, scissors and thread for your homework.
- If you do not have a sewing machine you can book in to a weekly class.
- We provide: rulers, tracing wheels, masking tape, spare paper scissors, tape measures, handouts.
WHEN IS THE COURSE AND HOW DO I BOOK.
The course is spread over two three-hour sessions, on the 9th of September 2017 and the 23rd September 2017, with a maximum of six students per session.
The course starts at 10am and finish at 1pm approx. You will need to do homework or book a sewing class.
The cost to include equipment, pattern cutting paper and refreshments is £60.00.
To reserve a place there is a non-refundable deposit.
To book, please use the contact form or telephone 07581 028706